Windows 7 Nagware Updates
You may have any number of reasons to not want to upgrade to Windows 10. Many have privacy concerns, but for me, my two main concerns are
- Forced automatic updates, which are already causing issues in Windows 10.
- Freemium notices in the basic software - which was already a thing in Windows 8.
I plan on moving to Linux for my PC desktop eventually, rather than upgrade past Windows 7 once it starts showing its age.
Updates to Remove and Hide
- KB2990214 (You may not have this)
- KB3022345 (You may not have this, it was replaced by KB3068708)
These present the nag notice and send various metrics (including browsing) back to Microsoft because you can totally trust them with this.
Under Task Scheduler -> Task Scheduler Library -> Microsoft -> Application Experience, you may see up to three items that will run regularly.
- Microsoft Compatibility Appraiser
There may be others if Microsoft tries to sneak more of this in. Disable them all.