Second Steps (Buster)
After we're finished with IPMI.
- Setup private key in ~/.ssh/authorized_keys for admin account
I have grown used to vim, lately, so:
- apt-get install vim vim-doc exuberant-ctags
- Heretics may substitute this with their inferior editor of choice
- update-alternatives --config editor
- Set PasswordAuthentication no in /etc/ssh/sshd_config
- systemctl restart ssh
- After verifying I can sign in, I set the admin's password to something incomprehensible.
- I turn on most every option, except for skip-defaults, compatible, ignorecase, and smartcase. I also add set hlsearch to add search highlighting.
- I uncomment set mouse in /etc/nanorc as well. I sometimes am training people and teaching both vim and some other arcane topic at the same time is usually rather much.
search invalid nameserver ::1 nameserver 22.214.171.124 nameserver 126.96.36.199
- Localhost (we'll setup unbound in a bit), Cloudflare, and Google. If your host provides their own DNS servers, those will be slightly better.